10 quotes club: Harriet Tubman


1. “Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”  


2. “I freed thousands of slaves, and could have freed thousands more, if they had known they were slaves.” 
 

3. “If you hear the dogs, keep going. If you see the torches in the woods, keep going. If there's shouting after you, keep going. Don't ever stop. Keep going. If you want a taste of freedom, keep going.”
  

4. "I grew up like a neglected weed, ignorant of liberty, having no experience of it."


5. "I had crossed the line of which I had so long been dreaming. I was free; but there was no one to welcome me to the land of freedom. I was a stranger in a strange land."


6. “I have heard their groans and sighs, and seen their tears, and I would give every drop of blood in my veins to free them.”


7. “Farewell, ole Maser, don’t think hard of me, I’m going on to Canada, where all the slaves are free.”


8. “I was the conductor of the Underground Railroad for eight years, and I can say what most conductors can’t say — I never ran my train off the track and I never lost a passenger.”


9.  "Forever Free: Abraham Lincoln's Journey to Emancipation."


10. “When I found I had crossed that line, I looked at my hands to see if I was the same person. There was such a glory over everything; the sun came like gold through trees, and over the fields, and I felt like I was in Heaven.”



Harriet Tubman

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How the stoicism of Roman philosophers can help us deal with depression

Brexit will hit Britain's overseas territories hard – why is no one talking about it?

Children and sleep: How much do they really need?